Satellite Imagery Show Iranian Naval Forces and Atomic Sites Hit by US-Israeli Airstrikes.

A series of American and Israeli strikes has allegedly sunk or crippled at least 11 Iran's navy ships starting Saturday, recently obtained satellite images reveal, with rocket sites and enrichment plants also coming under fire.

Images of the southern Konarak naval naval base and the Bandar Abbas facility, which sits on the strategic Hormuz Strait and is home to the headquarters of the Iranian navy, reveal plumes of smoke rising from several vessels on recent days.

Naval Fleet Incurred Major Damage

Among the ships sunk was the Makran, Iran's most sizable ship which had been used as a drone carrier. Orbital photos displayed thick smoke rising from the vessel which had been moored at the Bandar Abbas naval base.

Analytical evaluations indicate that at least a quintet of warships at the port were "struck or destroyed". Imagery of the southern part of the harbor show smoke rising from the Makran, while another pair of ships appear to be damaged, with one visibly ablaze.

At Konarak, photos show numerous stricken ships, with analysis identifying damage to six ships. Photos taken on Monday also show that multiple facilities at the base have been destroyed.

"For many years the Tehran government has harassed international shipping," the head of US Central Command stated. "Now, there is not a single Iranian ship at sea in the Persian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz or Sea of Oman, and we will persist."

A number of vessels allegedly sunk may have been concealed in aerial photos by cloud or smoke, or hit in open waters, and have not been independently verified. Additional information suggested that a ship from Iran was foundering near Sri Lankan territorial waters, resulting in a rescue operation.

Missile Installations and Nuclear Facilities Targeted

Neutralizing Tehran's launch facilities and the prevention of atomic bomb programs were stated as additional objectives of the air campaign. Satellite images also depicted impacts against the southerly Khorgu and northwestern Tabriz missile bases, and at the Konarak air base, where missile storage facilities and fortifications were targeted.

At the Choqa Balk-e UAV facility west of the city of Kermanshah, extensive damage was identified to sheds, bunkers and UAV launching apparatus.

Destruction was also seen at a radar site at the Zahedan airbase military airport in eastern Iran, close to the frontier with Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Of particular note, the latest wave of attacks have apparently targeted sites at Natanz – widely believed to be at the core of the country's enrichment efforts. A global monitoring agency said that the affected structures were used for access to the site's below-ground nuclear plant and that "no nuclear fallout" was anticipated.

Wider Consequences and Analysis

Observers indicated that the attacks appeared to have "greatly reduced" the Iranian navy's ability to sustain traditional warfare using its most significant warships. However, it was noted that Tehran maintains the option to launch asymmetric warfare at sea through the use of drones, small submarines and its so-called "shadow fleet" of tankers.

The overall scope of the destruction caused to Iran's defense facilities has yet to be fully assessed, with attacks said to be persisting. Photos also indicates extensive damage to the headquarters of the Iran's Revolutionary Guards in the capital Tehran.

A large number of civilian buildings also are reported to have been damaged in the capital and across the country after the hostilities began. Casualty figures from inside Iran state that hundreds of non-combatants may have been lost their lives in the attacks.

Amid continuing hostilities, analysis of aerial photographs will persist to assess the changing scope of damage.

Erin Blake
Erin Blake

A digital strategist with over a decade of experience in tech innovation, focusing on helping businesses adapt to emerging technologies.